A ranch-style home in South Superior was destroyed Monday evening by a fire.
Vern Johnson, battalion chief for the Superior Fire Department, said firefighters were called to the home on the 1200 block of Central Avenue just before 6 p.m. and were on the scene until 9:30. The house was fully engulfed, with “flames rolling out one end,” Johnson said.
Nobody was home at the time of the fire. One firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion, but there were no other injuries from the fire.
Johnson said it was too early last night to determine a possible cause. The fire is under investigation, but Johnson said there is no reason to consider its ignition suspicious.
A home and garage were extensively damaged Monday night by a fire in Cloquet. There were no people at the home on the 400 block of Agate Street, but two dogs were rescued.
Battalion Chief Gordy Meagher said the Cloquet Fire Department got a call about 5 p.m., and the two buildings were completely engulfed. An off-duty firefighter went in to save the two animals.
The Fire Department called for mutual aid to relieve firefighters due to the extreme heat. They were on the scene for nearly three hours.
“Everybody’s fine,” Meagher said. “But it was tough. Our guys were dropping.”
Meagher said the interior of the home had a lot of damage as well as the roofs on the home and garage. Investigators remained on the scene late Monday, but Meagher said there is no reason to consider the fire suspicious.
Tags: news, fire, superior, cloquet, updates